Spyker B6 Venator Spyder Concept Unveiled
By John Beltz Snyder
August 16, 2013
Spyker continues to show signs of life as it has unveiled its newest concept car, the B6 Venator Spyder, at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance.
Based on the B6 Venator Concept
that debuted in Geneva, this mid-engined, rear-wheel-drive sports convertible uses a V-6 engine producing over 375 horsepower. A six-speed automatic transmission is in charge of shifting gears. The car is built on an aluminum chassis with a carbon fiber body. We don’t have a specific weight figure, but Spyker states it is less than 3086 pounds.
The grille mesh and logo harken back to Spyker’s historical models, while features like the LED light rails in the headlights and 3D LED rear lights create a modern feel, and reference the jet fighters of today. The B6 Venator Spyder rides on prominent 19-inch Turbofan wheels with a mirrored finish. On the fairings are badges with the words, “Nulla tenaci invia est via,” which translates to “For the tenacious no road is impassable.”
The cockpit of the B6 Venator Spyder is meant to be reminiscent of that of an aircraft, with a gear shifter inspired by aircraft controls, and a red cover over the ignition switch. The premium leather throughout the interior is produced from West European first choice bull hides by Royal Hulshof Dutch Tanneries in Lichtenvoorde, Netherlands.
The B6 Venator Spyder is scheduled to go into production late next year for certain global markets in Europe, the Middle East, parts of East Asia, and India. It is expected to come to the US in early 2015.
The Venator Spyder offers exclusivity, but at the price of about $150,000 makes it not completely unobtainable for a lot of customers.
See the Spyker B6 Venator Spyder Concept in better detail in the attached photo gallery. Scroll down for more information in the press release.
SPYKER B6 VENATOR SPYDER CONCEPT MAKES ITS WORLDWIDE DEBUT AT THEQUAIL IN PEBBLE BEACH, CALIFORNIA
Monterey, California, 16 August, 2013 – Spyker N.V. (“Spyker”) today revealed the Spyder version of its new exotic sports car, the Spyker B6 Venator, at a press conference in Pebble Beach, California.
Just five months after unveiling the B6 Venator Coupe Concept to rave reviews at the 83rd International Geneva Motor Show, Spyker – creator of meticulously hand built automobiles whose beauty is equaled only by their unrivaled craftsmanship – made waves on the other side of the Atlantic. Today the brand introduced the SPYKER B6 VENATOR SPYDER Concept, a unique alternative in the High Luxury Sports sector, via a press conference at The Quail Motorsports Gathering in Pebble Beach, California. The SPYKER B6 VENATOR SPYDER Concept is the eagerly awaited convertible execution of Spyker’s compact, 2-door mid-engine sports car that will offer the discerning driver of the highest standards a new choice, delivering a rare combination of heritage, design, performance and exclusivity.
Chief Executive Officer Victor R. Muller chose The Quail as the site for the SPYKER B6 VENATOR SPYDER Concept’s worldwide premiere because, “It is the car’s natural habitat. Car enthusiasts from around the globe descend upon exquisitely beautiful Pebble Beach for the Concours d’Elegance weekend, and The Quail Motorsports Gathering is the most exclusive event of all.” Designed by Muller, the SPYKER B6 VENATOR SPYDER Concept incorporates vintage cues of the brand’s aviation past, highly detailed design and bespoke materials into a defiantly contemporary statement that could only come from Spyker. The company’s Latin axiom “Nulla tenaci invia est via” – “For the tenacious no road is impassable” – is tastefully featured on the exterior. The name “Venator” is Latin for “Hunter,” a nod back to Spyker’s “Hunter” fighter aircraft of the early 20th century.
Exterior highlights include:
• The trademark radiator grille’s mesh is V-shaped, referencing Spyker models of the previous century. The 1903 Spyker logo harkens back to an era when Spyker built racers such as the amazing 60HP.
• The headlights, equipped with LED light rails, give the car an aggressive stance.
• The 3D LED rear lights are akin to the iris-type after burners of a jet engine from a modern fighter aircraft.
• The brake light has been sculpted into the rear panel design to ensure smooth, flowing design lines.
• Elegantly aggressive 19” TurbofanTM wheels are shown in mirror polish finish.
• The brand’s axiom “Nulla tenaci invia est via” – which translates to “For the tenacious no road is impassable” – is shown on the fairings.
Interior highlights include:
• Interior surroundings crafted from the finest materials are unusually open and airy for a sports car, akin to an aeroplane cockpit. The leather is sourced from the Litano range produced by the Royal Hulshof Dutch Tanneries in Lichtenvoorde, Netherlands. Hulshof uses only West European first choice bull hides and a special tanning process that produces the beautifully rich colour palette.
• The red cover on the ignition switch evokes the spirit of starting an aeroplane, as does the dashboard that lights up as part of the ‘pre-flight check.’ The dashboard is shown with a turned aluminium fascia, similar to those seen on Spykers of the 1920s.
• Pressing the engine start button brings to life a powerful V6 engine that delivers 375+ bhp.
• The trademark exposed gear change mechanism was inspired by early aircraft controls from Spyker’s aviation heritage.
• All carbon fibre
• All aluminium platform
• Engine mount position: rear-mid
• Engine orientation: transverse mounted V6
• Max power: 375+ bhp
• Drivetrain type: RWD
• Transmission: 6-spd automatic
• Overall length: 4347 mm
• Width (ex mirrors): 1882 mm
• Wheelbase: 2500 mm
• Kerb weight: under 1400 kg
The SPYKER B6 VENATOR SPYDER Concept will begin production in late 2014 for key markets including Europe, the Middle East, Asia Pacific and India, followed by the US in early 2015.
The introduction of the SPYKER B6 VENATOR Concept at Geneva earlier this year marked the beginning of a new era for the brand, one that will include a significant increase in production led by a management team that has never been stronger. The SPYKER B6 VENATOR SPYDER Concept represents the next key step on that path, which is being spearheaded by Muller and his Chief Commercial Officer John Walton. Together, Muller and Walton are leading a passionate team that is supremely dedicated to creating unique and beautiful highperformance sports luxury cars.
According to Walton, “Reaction to the coupe version in Geneva was so overwhelmingly positive that we accelerated our initial plan to deliver the SPYKER B6 VENATOR SPYDER Concept. This is an exquisite drop-top that begs to be driven on the Pacific Coast Highway – yet will provide more exclusivity than any other sports car it will pass on the road.”
The SPYKER B6 VENATOR SPYDER Concept will provide the authentic Spyker experience – hand-crafted rarity that is as visceral to view as it is to drive – at a more accessible price point of approximately $150,000. “The SPYKER B6 VENATOR COUPE and SPYDER Concepts are the immediate future of Spyker,” said Muller.