Race Class Profile: Spec E30
By Bradley Iger
July 21, 2014
- National Auto Sport Association - The sanctioning body for SpecE30.
- Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) - Several regions, including Colorado and San Francisco, have added region-only classes for Spec E30 cars.
- BMW CCA Club Racing - BMW CCA Club Racing also offers a Spec E30 class
- BMW "M20 B25" 2.5-liter straight six cylinder from the 325i or 325is models. Engines are basically stock but may be rebuilt using a 0.20 overbore. Balancing is allowed.
- Non-coilover suspension with spec Bilstein shocks, spec H&R Springs, and spec sway bars. Front camber plates allowed and rear adjustable camber allowed.
- Shimming of coil springs allowed (to corner balance). Camber is open. Toe open. Wheel spacers are allowed but have max width constraints.
- Limited adjustments – rear sway bar is adjustable, front sway bar is fixed.
- Limited slip rear differentials and front brake ducting is allowed. Braided brake lines allowed. Front and rear strut bars allowed. Poly suspension bushings and poly engine mounts allowed. Cooling systems are open. Brake pad compounds are open. Steel brake rotors are allowed, and can be cross drilled, but must match OEM spec. Clutches are open.
- Spec exhaust system is required.
- Flywheels must be stock.
- Tires – Should last approximately 2.5 race weekends (about 15 heat cycles).
- Engines – Some have been reported to last up to 7 full seasons between rebuilds (fresh head, new cam, re-ringed bottom end with original bearings/pistons).
- Fuel – A race weekend usually requires about 15 gallons.
- Brakes – Front brake pads/rotors should last 2-3 weekends, rear brake pads will usually last an entire season.
- PRO3 E30: A non-spec BMW E30 racing series in U.S. Northwest region.
- Barber Motorsports Park - 1:46.700 - Jared Stoops - 2/15/14
- Buttonwillow CCW #13 - 2:07.038 - Steven Stepanian - 4/05/14
- Gingerman Raceway (Long Configuration) - 1:49.415 - Ryan CieChanski - 8/18/13
- Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca - 1:47.881 - Shawhan Racing - 6/07/13
- Road Atlanta - 1:42.618 - A.R. Hoshmandy - 9/15/13